Monday, December 2, 2013

Transitions

From the time I was a bright-eyed middle schooler, I dreamed of the day I would go to college. I pictured myself flourishing at a prestigious university; a successful, powerhouse of a student. I dreamed that I would be soaking up knowledge, surrounded by friends, and generally loving campus life.

So, naturally, I was pretty excited to start college this fall. I was ready to move into my dorm and start my new life at my university. Throughout the summer, I had done copious amounts of research (I am a science girl through and through!) and I figured I was pretty prepared for what college had in store for me. I was excited to jump into my college experience with an open mind.

However, one thing that was never covered in those freshman advice books you get for graduation, is what happens if the college you're at just isn't the one for you? I quickly learned that colleges aren't one size fits all. They are all unique and what works for one person, may not work for another. So, while I was prepared for tackling exams and buying textbooks, I wasn't prepared for the disappointment I felt in my college experience. Was there something wrong with me? Why wasn't I enjoying my school as much as my friends enjoyed theirs?

Suddenly, I was smacked in the face with feelings of disappointment and despair. I was not happy with my college experience, and I knew I needed to make a change. After many, many long nights of thinking logically, I knew the best thing for me to do was transfer. Transferring is very scary for me. Since I was a child, I was taught that a lot rides on your college education, and not knowing where I'm going to end up is stressful. There were nights where I would lay in my bed and cry because I felt like I was failing my teachers, my parents, and most of all, myself.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel, however. I learned a lot of important life lessons this semester. Most importantly, I realized that it's okay to not get it right the first time. This was a hard one for me to learn. I like accuracy and perfection the first time around, and that's an unrealistic expectation in the real world. Life is like a science experiment, after all. If it doesn't work the first time, change a variable until you get the result you're looking for!

I am excited for the future. It is bright, and shiny, and new. I know that there are wonderful, important plans for my future, and I can't wait to see how it all plays out!

"She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future." Proverbs 31:25

Kate xox

4 comments:

  1. <3 Text me sometime, girlie. I know exactly how you feel. I honestly feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I have your number, Delaney, but if you message it to me on facebook, we can chat! :) Good luck on exams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a beautiful voice in these posts, Kate. Allison and I will both miss you so much and wish the absolute best for you. Looking forward to seeing where life takes you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Amber! That really means a lot to me! I will miss you and Allison so much. You were such good friends to me during my time at Stetson. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. xox

      Delete